From left to right: 2nd generation Core M5 with vPro ($499), 2nd generation Core m3 ($399), 2nd generation Intel Atom, Original Intel Compute Stick
The 2nd generation of the Intel compute stick is still very slim, very tiny. It still has an HDMI output that you plug into your television or monitor, but the big improvements this time include:
- 2 USB ports with 1 being a USB 3.0. this is great because now you can connect a wireless Keyboard and mouse as well as one of our other recommended top accessories. I prefer to add an external hard drive or pen drive to give it more storage space.
- It also has faster WiFi and a better internal antenna. The 2nd generation Intel compute stick now supports 802.11AC instead of the older N.
- The entry level model has an updated Intel Atom Cherry Trail processor that will make it a little bit faster than the previous generation, but what most people are excited for are the models that contain the much faster Intel Core M processors.
- It also comes with the same standard accessories as the previous model which include an HDMI extension cable as well as the micro USB cable and power brick.
Overall this device makes it fairly easy to hook a full fledged computer to your TV at a low cost to turn almost any monitor or TV into a smart TV. It allows you to play limited games, get work done, and stream you favorite TV shows and movies.
The 2nd generation Intel Atom Compute stick has a suggested retail price of $159 and is available now. The Core M models should be released very soon. I hear rumors of a February release. The Core M3 is expected to sell for $399 and the Core M5 is expected to sell for $499. These are the same chips that you see in the very high-end slim laptops so the price justifies it.
2nd Generation Intel Atom Compute Stick Specs:
- Intel Atom x5-z8400 processor
- 2Gb of RAM
- 32GB internal flash storage
- Windows 10
- 2 USB ports with one of them being USB 3.0
- Dual band 802.11AC Wi-Fi
2nd Generation Intel Core M compute stick Specs:
- Core M3 and Core M5 options
- Slightly larger tahn the Atom model
- 4GM of RAM
- Only 1 USB 3.0 port on the device, but a 2 more on the power charger